Monday, December 17, 2007

It's begining to look a lot like Chistma... huh?

Christmas is just a few days away, and I am 100% hit with the X-mas bug.
The tree's up, of course. The daughter's presents are all wrapped and hid. The car is blaring Xmas Carols out of the speakers instead of the "Cars" soundtrack of recent past. I've either rented or purchased the mandatory Xmas movies, namely:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
Miracle on 34th Street (the Natalie Wood version)
The Santa Clause
Santa Claus is Coming to Town (the late 60's stop animation)
Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer (ditto)
It's a Wonderful Life

And I've never actually seen It's a Wonderful Life, I figure it's about time.

And for A Christmas Story- It wasn't released in Japan (that I can find), anybody wanna help me do a Japanese fan sub so my wife can enjoy this wonderful jewel as well (next year)? I'll need a scribe for the English script (unless someone can find the original) and a couple of translators.

But anyway...

So here I am these days, bubbling over with the Xmas spirit. When one is in such a mood, where does one go?- That's right, to the mall!

So at the local mall, the family and I are looking around for more crap to buy this Xmas, not exactly this crap, courtesy of a local geisha, but other crap. It was then that I saw this:




Parents with there kids waiting in line for something around a huge Christmas tree.

Bob is thinking: Holy crackers! The local mall brought in a Santa!

Now imagine you're me... what would you do in this situation?

I bet you'd do what I did- wake the daughter up (whose been passed out since the car ride to the mall) "Hey guess what! Santa's here! You can sit on his lap and tell him what you want for Christmas!"

Turns out the Xmas spirit bubbling over in me made me forget where I live...


Here's what was on the other side of the tree:




(faces blocked out to protect the innocent)

Just goes to show that you can live in a foreign country for years, learn to speak a new language, work for a domestic company and other than your ethnicity, be able to live day to day completely assimilated. Then you have kids, and your true self comes through, giving you culture shock even though you should've seen it coming.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's too funny. So that means Santa is in a Naruto disguise. Weird!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Damn you, Narutooooo!

In other news, I watched It's a Wonderful Life for the first time last year, and I thought it was great. I think that a lot of it is still relevant, and it really didn't feel too dated.

Anonymous said...

Hey, found your blog... merry christmas! I haven't seen pics or anything of your daughter since I last saw you, way back when... she is adorable.

SJ said...

Oh that's just too much... only in Japan I suppose. It's good to hear from you again. I'll definitely try and post up a candidate commentary sometime.

It seems you're doing well. Are you still threatening to cut rival salespersons who dare move in on your territory?

Your daughter is absolutely adorable, btw. :)